Long term commitment to a life partner is for many the greatest undertaking we will ever encounter.
We have spent the last 3 decades committed to discovering how to create an exceptional marriage. We were compelled not only by a professional drive to help other couples, but by our own personal desire to create a lasting and passionate union with one another.
What we learned was that marriage invited us to embark on a journey into oftentimes uncharted territory, deep into our own psyches and souls to discover the true meaning of relationship.
- Marriage is an unfolding and evolving experience that can enable couples to transform their inner and outer lves.
- Couples generally want (and are simultaneously afraid) to take more risks in order to bring greater aliveness, sensuality and spontaneity to their relationship.
- Couples get stuck in habits of emotional exchange that originate in early childhood interactions.
- Emotional expression is fundamental to a growing, maturing relationship. Emotions are the language of the intimate relationship.
- No one triggers our feelings as profoundly as our partner does. To let ourselves be affected by our partner is the doorway to great discoveries.
- What makes a relationship exceptional is the ability to move through painful interactions to not only repair, but to grow from the conflict.
- Conflict is part and parcel of mature interaction. Couples need to exert their influence on each other by expressing their differing ideas, values, intentions, or emotional reactions.
- Sexuality is an expression of the vibrant energy that exists in an exceptional marriage.
- Our task is to bring ourselves fully to our relationship- body,heart, and soul.
- The pleasure in the exceptional relationship goes beyond security and includes the transcendent experience of living on the edge of one’s emerging self.
- Exceptional couples create exceptional lives.